Unfortunately, Paul and I had to work that next week, so we weren’t able to take time off to hang out with R & D during the day. However, I really don’t think they needed us. I’m pretty sure they have done more touristy stuff in Abu Dhabi now than either Paul or I have.
R & D found a good cheesy bread place down by the Corniche which I am still dying to go to after hearing them talk about it. They also explored Marina Mall, biked on the Corniche, ate at the fish souk, drove around Yas Island, and went to the pink shops a number of times. On one of their trips to Al Mina (“The Port” in arabic), they stopped at a nursery and found a beautiful bougainvillea and pots for my herbs. The bougainvillea is still doing well—I love looking out in the yard while I have breakfast and seeing the bold pink color fill the window.
 |
| Potting the bougainvilla |
 |
| New pots with basil & cilantro |
R & D were also so thoughtful and generous to make us some homemade meals which they froze and filled our freezer with to help us out on our busy nights during the week when we just don’t feel like cooking. A well stocked freezer is always a blessing—thank you!
 |
| Stuffed pasta & chicken enchiladas--yum! |
On Thursday night, Paul & R grilled us some chicken kebobs and ribeye steaks. D also made some fresh shrimp, eggplant “chips,” fettuccine alfredo, and beautiful plate of various fruits—yum!
 |
| Paul and I could eat like this more often! |
On Friday, we headed up to Dubai in the morning and went straight to the Dubai Mall where R & D did the Burj Khalifa tour and went to “the Top.” After that, we had a delicious lunch (at Dean & Deluca’s) by the water where we got to see two fountain shows. One was to a classical song and the other was to “Thriller.”
 |
| Dubai Mall Atrium |




After lunch, D & I headed to the Fatikah “Antique Museum” to find some arabic treasures while Paul & R went and saw the movie ____ at the Mall of the Emirates. D ended up buying the
same leather footstool my mom had bought as well as some pretty table cloths. I found an adorable hand-made tapestry that had the alphabet & corresponding animals/people/things. I also bought us a couple of arabic lights—metal that’s been shaped and decorated by punching holes into it. I had fun bargaining with them again. They definitely recognize me! :)
 |
| Antique Museum--this is just one of many, many aisles |
 |
| Arabic lights hanging in our bedroom |
After that we met back up with the men at the Mall of the Emirates where we checked out the indoor ski slope and relaxed for a little bit. It was at this point that D noticed her purse was smelling kind of funny. After emptying it out, she found the hard boiled egg we’d saved since our
flight from Phuket to Bangkok—6 days later! :)
 |
| What's that smell? |
Then it was time to repack the suitcases in the parking deck and head to the airport. We were sad to see them go, but we had a great time with R & D here and were happy to get to show them a little of what our life is like out here in the desert.
0 comments:
Post a Comment