Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Golf Champions

Last weekend Paul and I volunteered for the annual Abu Dhabi Golf Championship that was held at Abu Dhabi Golf Club which is right near where we live. Paul had volunteered last year, and after seeing all the awesome gear he got and after getting more into golf myself, I decided to join him this year.

DSC_0112
Abu Dhabi Golf Club - Club House
DSC_0118
The newly built Westin Hotel just next door--I love the architecture



We volunteered both Friday and Saturday. On Friday, Paul was a walking marshal (holding up the “Quiet” signs) for Schwartzel, Harrington, and Bjorn. Schwartzel was actually tied for 2nd during the day.
That's Paul's boy tied for 2nd


My volunteer slot that day was a static position manning the course crossing in front of the green on hole 2. Tiger and Rory’s group was the first one to come through when I started my shift—it was a little bit overwhelming with the herds of people, but fun to watch them play.
Just chillin

Tigerrrrr
KJ Choi


On Saturday, I was a walking marshal with Lee Westwood (previous world #1), Sjoholm, and Dyson. I really enjoyed that position as well.
DSC_0095
Taking a photo with the scoreboard at the end of the round


Paul was in a little bit later group as a walking marshal again. This time he was with Kingston, Hansen, and Molinari.
DSC_0103
You can see Paul doing work--white polo, no hat, facing the right, holding a quiet sign and black jacket


Paul finished up just a couple groups ahead of Tiger & Rory’s group, so I met him on the 18th green and we hung around until they came through.
DSC_0127
Classic golfer pose

DSC_0144
Rory

DSC_0150


Paul got a chance to go back Sunday afternoon and watch the last couple hours of the tournament. Also, there was a volunteer’s golf day the following week which Paul was able to make and play a free round on that same course.
DSC_0090
Watching the guys warm up on the driving range


Overall, another great experience. We’ll definitely be up for volunteering again next year!

0 comments:

Followers

Follow by Email

If you would like to receive an email each time we post, leave a comment and we'll add you to our email list.
OR
Enter your email in the "Feedburner" field below.

Abu Dhabi Time

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP