Peppernuts
You may remember one of my first posts which was about making Peppernuts. Well, in preparation for my family coming out for Christmas, I decided to make them again since they're a traditionally Christmas treat.
| Peppernut book given to my grandma by her mother. |
But the real point of this post is that my grandma found the book that her grandma (Grams) had given to her which is all about Peppernuts and sent it all the way to me in Abu Dhabi! It was so much fun to read the little book about different people's traditions and recipes. I thought it was interesting that quite a few of them didn't even have cardamom in it. I especially loved that my grandma had kept Grams' letter attached to the book from when she gave it to my grandma. It was really fun reading that. I didn't get to know Grams very well--I think my most prominent memory with her was eating frozen green grapes at her apartment in California. I know that both her and my mom were pretty close, and I've gotten to hear more and more stories about Grams through the years from my mom. Anyways, it was just fun to read the book and still feel connected to family from so far away :)
| The book with our "Christmas Tree" |
2 comments:
What a neat tradition ( from your gr. great grandmother in Germany around the world to California and back around the world to the Mid East!)-thank you for making the peppernutters for us when we came! mom
Again ... where is the recipe??? This is such a tease.
Post a Comment