Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Pomelos

This post is long overdue, but the next "exotic" fruit I bought was  Pomelo.  I saw it in the store right after we got back from Nepal, and remembered that it was the fruit in the tree at our favorite restaurant in Kathmandu, so I figured we had to try it.

Pomelo

I actually really enjoyed the pomelo.  Apparently a grapefruit is a mix between an orange and a pomelo.  Pomelo's are a bit bigger than grapefruits and have a much thicker peel.  They aren't quite as bitter as grapefruits and a little bit sweeter, which I like much better.  The one thing I didn't like about it was that you have to remove the membrane that is around each section which just takes some time, but then again you only eat a few sections ate a time because the fruit is so huge.
Peeled pomelo


You can see how thick the membrane is around the sections, it's very bitter which is why you have to remove it

Overall, I think this is one of my top two favorites of the ones we've tried so far (tied with mangosteens).

I also tried chickoos over this past weekend...not good.  Maybe mine were just over ripe, but the description online said that it would taste like carmel/cotton candy.  While at first that sounds good, the more you think about it, do you really want your fruit to taste like carmel?  It was just kinda wierd.

0 comments:

Followers

Follow by Email

If you would like to receive an email each time we post, leave a comment and we'll add you to our email list.
OR
Enter your email in the "Feedburner" field below.

Abu Dhabi Time

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP