Saturday, March 3, 2012

So Domestic

A couple weeks ago, I knocked out a few of the sewing projects that I'd been wanting to work on.  The first was a skirt idea that I got from here except instead of refashioning a skirt, I started the skirt from scratch.  I completed it last year but got really frustrated because the side seams were bumpy and had to be taken out and a new back panel had to be made.  After letting it sit for a couple of months, my frustration had waned enough to try to pick it back up again (actually even more than that, I really wanted to get started on my next sewing project, but I have a rule that I can't start new sewing projects until the current one is complete).  I think it turned out pretty well…
DSC_0011DSC_0015DSC_0014

 
My next project was an apron.  I’ve been wanting to sew an apron pretty much since my wonderful husband bought me my sewing machine a few years ago, but sometime I have issues with paying for a pattern…. I feel like if' I’m going to sew something, it should be cheap, so why spend more money on a pattern?  Well, without a pattern, I never had the guts to try one that I thought was cute.  Then I saw on pinterest a really cute apron—the Emmeline from Sew Liberated.  I bought the pattern over Christmas and had Paul’s parents bring it out when they came.
 
I did some fabric shopping in the Madinat Zayed area.  It took a couple of trips because the apron is double-sided which meant I needed to find 2 coordinating patterned cotton fabrics….  not a particularly easy task when most of the “textile” shops out here don’t carry many patterns that suit my taste.
DSC08830
some wild prints

DSC08832DSC08833
Madinat Zayed Textile Shops....  this is the area I go to find fabric



I finally found some a couple of cute fabrics and I began my project.  I have to say that this was one of the most fun sewing projects I’ve worked on in a while… probably at least partly because I DID have a pattern…  I definitely appreciated knowing exactly what to do and not having to undo stitches.

DSC_0033DSC_0035
DSC_0038DSC_0037


I was so excited when I finished the apron, that I made Paul take some photos and wore it around the house the rest of the day :)   Feeling so domestic with my cute apron and sewing skills, I felt like the perfect end to the day would be to make some cookies ;)
DSC_0053
the chocolate is for me and the white chocolate is for my hubby

DSC_0056DSC_0058
Somehow baking is so much more fun with a cute apron on ;)

5 comments:

Charles March 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM  

I love the shirt and the apron. That fabric shop looks like it's near the place we have been to lunch a couple of times. Is it?

Josclyn March 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM  

Kinda. Madinat Zayed is off the same main road (7th) that parallels the corniche as Lebanese flower, but it's actually a bit closer to the port side of the island. But the area has a very similar feel.

Chase March 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM  

I love the apron and skirt that you made! You are beacoming quite the sewer, I saw that you wore my braclet too! Loving your blogs! :)

Grandma March 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM  

I remember the first apron I sewed....7grade in Jr. High. I will say, it didn't look anything like yours. You look so "sweet"in it. Continue with your sewing, and continue enjoying it.
Grandma

Anonymous March 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM  

Definitely a cute cook and i'm sure Paul wants to kiss the cook! You need to make the pattern into a sundress too! That skirt is so sassy. mom

Followers

Follow by Email

If you would like to receive an email each time we post, leave a comment and we'll add you to our email list.
OR
Enter your email in the "Feedburner" field below.

Abu Dhabi Time

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP