Post 100 - 2011 Wrap-up
We're 100 posts old today! I really don't have anything specific to write about, it's more that I just realized we were at 100 and didn't want to miss the opportunity to celebrate. So, I'm going to use this post to catch up on all the random things that have been left behind over the past year...
Al Jazira Football
Last winter, Paul and I got invited to multiple Al Jazira football (aka soccer) games here in Abu Dhabi. They were a good time.
Al Jazira Football
Last winter, Paul and I got invited to multiple Al Jazira football (aka soccer) games here in Abu Dhabi. They were a good time.
.
Le Royal Meridien Beach/Pool Days
In June, we used a groupon for the gym, pool, and beach facilities at Le Royal Meriden in the Tourist club area. It was a nice way to beat the heat for a little while and relax in the water.
In June, we used a groupon for the gym, pool, and beach facilities at Le Royal Meriden in the Tourist club area. It was a nice way to beat the heat for a little while and relax in the water.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins
Also in June, I made cream cheese raspberry muffins which were delicious (recipe found pinterest). We even topped them with the best cream cheese frosting ever!
Also in June, I made cream cheese raspberry muffins which were delicious (recipe found pinterest). We even topped them with the best cream cheese frosting ever!
Bangs
And we definitely can't forget how my "bangs" got butchered. Good thing hair grows back :)
Duct-tape Dress Form
This summer I also made my own duct-tape dress form. It's really a pain to keep trying stuff on while I'm sewing and then trying to re-pin the back of a skirt, etc., so I thought it would be a good idea to try a dress form. I found the idea on pinterest and set-off on my mission to gather supplies. I started by going to Mina (the port) which I hadn't yet been to. I actually really enjoyed it. I bartered for a pretty vase and broom stick. Then I swung by the carpet souk (nearby) to see if I could get some cheap batting to fill my form. They wanted too much money, so I went to one of the tailoring shops near our apartment and asked the guy (with lots of hand motions) to start saving his scrap fabric so that I could use that instead. I went back a few days later when he said he would have enough, and he wasn't ready yet so I had to go back a few days after that. Then one night I convinced Paul to start wrapping me in duct tape (with one of his old tshirts on underneath). When we was done we cut it up the back and hung it on a wire hanger. Next, I decided I needed cement to put in the bottom of the vase and that insulation foam that expands to help fill the form itself. After some bartering at the pink shops again, I came home successful. The foam part of it was a mess. I got it all over the floor and my workout pants. But in the end I had a form.
Unfortunately, I still haven't truly used it yet. Mainly because my "bright" idea of adding arms to my form so that I would know how to make sleeves was really quiet nearsighted since I can't get any shirts, etc. off the form once they've been pinned. Sigh. I just need to keep cutting down her arms until it works.




This summer I also made my own duct-tape dress form. It's really a pain to keep trying stuff on while I'm sewing and then trying to re-pin the back of a skirt, etc., so I thought it would be a good idea to try a dress form. I found the idea on pinterest and set-off on my mission to gather supplies. I started by going to Mina (the port) which I hadn't yet been to. I actually really enjoyed it. I bartered for a pretty vase and broom stick. Then I swung by the carpet souk (nearby) to see if I could get some cheap batting to fill my form. They wanted too much money, so I went to one of the tailoring shops near our apartment and asked the guy (with lots of hand motions) to start saving his scrap fabric so that I could use that instead. I went back a few days later when he said he would have enough, and he wasn't ready yet so I had to go back a few days after that. Then one night I convinced Paul to start wrapping me in duct tape (with one of his old tshirts on underneath). When we was done we cut it up the back and hung it on a wire hanger. Next, I decided I needed cement to put in the bottom of the vase and that insulation foam that expands to help fill the form itself. After some bartering at the pink shops again, I came home successful. The foam part of it was a mess. I got it all over the floor and my workout pants. But in the end I had a form.
Unfortunately, I still haven't truly used it yet. Mainly because my "bright" idea of adding arms to my form so that I would know how to make sleeves was really quiet nearsighted since I can't get any shirts, etc. off the form once they've been pinned. Sigh. I just need to keep cutting down her arms until it works.
Korean Meal
One of Paul's coworkers was leaving the country this summer, and as a going away get-together, he had us over to a Korean "restaurant." First, let me say that the food was delicious. Paul was especially loving the bbq pork ribs. But it was a bit of an odd set-up as it was in a lady's house. The table was in her living room and she did the cooking in her kitchen. I think the awkwardness was compounded by the fact that Paul and I were the first ones to show up, even before the host. Anyways, a memorable meal for sure.
One of Paul's coworkers was leaving the country this summer, and as a going away get-together, he had us over to a Korean "restaurant." First, let me say that the food was delicious. Paul was especially loving the bbq pork ribs. But it was a bit of an odd set-up as it was in a lady's house. The table was in her living room and she did the cooking in her kitchen. I think the awkwardness was compounded by the fact that Paul and I were the first ones to show up, even before the host. Anyways, a memorable meal for sure.
Mint Lemonade
Last winter I had bought a mint plant while my family was out here. It survived a while and actually grew fairly big. But then the bugs took over and it was relinquished to the garden with the summer sun blazing down on it :( Before it died though, I made a few batches of mint-lemonade which is one of my favorite drinks out here. Restaurants in the US should really start selling it, I think it would be a big hit. The first time I made the fresh lemonade it was delicious, but made me feel guilty because it was so sweet (it really is amazing how much sugar is in lemonade). So I cut down on the simple syrup content the second time around, but then it was a bit too bitter and really made my throat sting. Hopefully next time I'll find a happy medium.
Recipe: Make simple syrup by boiling 2 cups water; stir in 2 cups sugar until completely dissolved and let cool. Take 2 cups lemon juice (I think I used about 8 large lemons) and 1/2 cup or more rinsed, de-stemmed mint leaves to a blender and blend until the leaves are the desired size. Add 4 cups water and 1 cup simple syrup and chill.
Custard Apples
The last random item is that in August we tried a custard apple based on my Lebanese friend M's recommendation that it is her favorite fruit. I think that the one we bought was a little bit overripe, but it was still pretty good. It had a lovely fragrance/flavor.
Resident Kittens
When we got back from Lebanon, we were greeted by a mom and her 4 kittens. Much to Paul's dismay, they are still hanging around. Earlier this week, Paul opened the door to leave for work and one ran into our apartment! I was in a grumpy mood but it quickly had me laughing and lifted my spirits. Although, I'm not sure that Paul felt the same...
It's a Small World
I figured it'd be fun to end with this photo. It was in the elevator of a local hotel here in Abu Dhabi. It's a list of all of their locations, one of which is an small town of 150,000 people where my family lived before moving to the East Coast.
I figured it'd be fun to end with this photo. It was in the elevator of a local hotel here in Abu Dhabi. It's a list of all of their locations, one of which is an small town of 150,000 people where my family lived before moving to the East Coast.
2 comments:
Great post. That futball suite was very nice. The custard apple might take a bit to get used to from a looks standpoint.
Happy 100!!! LOVED this post of randomness!
Post a Comment