Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ramadan is Here

I took a little break from blogging for a couple of weeks which is probably pretty obvious :)  The ironic part about it is that I have had more free time in the past two weeks than the rest of the year because it is now Ramadan which means a 36 hour work week instead of 48 hrs.  And that makes a HUGE difference.

DSC07454
Ramadan has given us even more quality time together :)


Well Ramadan means more than just a reduced work week, it’s the Muslim’s holy time and they fast (no eating or drinking) from dawn until dusk every day for a month.  For more info on Ramadan you can look at some of my post from last year.
DSC07513
Ramadan (like all Islamic calendar months) starts with the first "sighting" of a crescent moon; I took this photo from our apartment parking lot

DSC07510
The government puts up all sorts of lighting decorations around the city for Ramadan

IMG00122-20110803-2045
These are the Ramadan decorations in Emirates Mall (Dubai) that a coworker sent me


I have been filling up all of my extra free time hours with tons of projects.  I bought curtains, rods, and pillows from the IKEA as-is section for over half-off because they had been used as displays.  So we installed the curtain rod and I shortened the curtain to put it over our bed and made decorative pillows for our bed out of the remainder of the fabric.  I made another “reclaimed school desk wood” hook rack to put our bags on by the front door.  We raised my desk and hung my wooden frame and a magnetic board (also 1/2 off from Ikea).  We also did a deep clean of the apartment because it looks like we’ll be staying for another year :)  I’ve also tailored some of my clothes and my favorite project of all so far, I made a ruffled skirt that I can wear to work.
DSC07519
You can see the new hook rack on the bottom (you can also see the homemade dress form that I conned Paul into helping me make...it deserves its own post, so hopefully I'll get to that someday soon)

DSC07520
Raised desk, mounted wooden frame, and installed magnet board


DSC07527DSC07528


So it’s not like I have been completely slacking, just on the blogging :)

2 comments:

Charles August 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM  

Love the skirt and the new hook board, very cool.

Anonymous August 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM  

Can't believe you had enough for a DEEP clean. Skirt is cute and love the pic of the moon. Mom H

Followers

Follow by Email

If you would like to receive an email each time we post, leave a comment and we'll add you to our email list.
OR
Enter your email in the "Feedburner" field below.

Abu Dhabi Time

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP