Saturday, January 26, 2013

We Have Visitors

Back in December, we were lucky to have my mom and dad spend a few days in Abu Dhabi as a part of a Middle East business trip.  It was definitely a treat to see them :)

I picked them up at the airport after work, and used my staff access badge to slip in a meet them just after customs :)  From there we swung by my jobsite so that they could see what all the craziness for the past 4 months had produced.  After that we were off to their hotel where Paul met us for a nice Thai dinner.

DSC01897DSC01958
I love how my mom captured some of the “everyday” things that I don’t even notice as being bizarre any more :)


DSC01911DSC_4429
                   Little leaf bowl appetizers… yum!                                                                                            So many dates!

DSC01917DSC01918
On Tuesday we had them over for dinner at our place for some of Paul’s famous grilled salmon and a greek salad.  We also had a mini-Christmas celebration.
DSC_4424_edited

DSC_4426
Some key “essentials” brought out to us by my loving parents

I took Thursday off from work to spend the day with Mom.  Dad still had more meetings :(  We started the day going to a yoga class by my favorite instructor.  And I even got my Mom to do a wheel after the class! (I knew that if I could do it, she definitely could).
DSC_4433

After yoga we hopped over to the Central Souk for a girly brunch at Shakespeare's, a little shopping, and pedicures.
DSC_4436DSC_4440

DSC02128DSC_4442

From there we headed over to Mina (“port” in arabic) to take a look at the boats and stop by the nursery.
DSC_4461DSC_4469DSC_4492
The best area to buy plants in Abu Dhabi

DSC_4495DSC02180

On Friday we went to church at ECC then headed to Café Arabia to meet up with W & C for lunch.  Unfortunately my dad still had more meetings :(

DSC02224

After lunch, Mom & I headed for Dubai to go to Global Village.  I had never been but had heard good things about it.  Knowing that it was a place Paul would never willingly go with me, it seemed like the perfect excursion with Mom.  Global Village is a “fairgrounds” that is open about 4 months out of the year and it has stalls/buildings for over 20 different countries selling their goods, pushing their street food, and providing entertainment.
DSC02244DSC02248
It still amazes me how long the lines can be at the gas stations when the whole country is based on oil.  I think we ended up waiting over 20 minutes!

DSC02266DSC_4532
Chaos here we come!


DSC02269
There are some perks to being a female in an arabic culture.

DSC_4535DSC_4536
DSC_4537Cute shoes from India, but in the end sensibility won out as they weren’t very comfy

DSC_4539
I even nabbed a few yards of pretty fabrics for future projects.

DSC_4543DSC_4541


DSC_4559
Turkish lights (I bought the white one in the photo)

DSC_4551
                 We also decided to try roasted chestnuts… the taste wasn’t amazing but they did smell good.

DSC_4564
This was the baked potato we shared for something a little more substantial… topped with yogurt, olives, pickles, and some sauce… it was really good!

DSC02282
The middle eastern squat

DSC_4577
The shop where I found a nice bowl for Grandma & Grandpa

DSC_4580
DSC_4589
At the end of the day, we made out well with quite a few treasures to take home and share with friends and family :)


Saturday was their last day in AD before heading of to “the Kingdom” (aka Saudi Arabia).  We had all planned to go on a kayaking trip through the mangroves, but the boys were struggling a bit when the alarm went off so just Mom and I went.  It was a lovely, peaceful morning and we finished just in time for them to finish packing and head off.
DSC02291DSC02298DSC02308

1 comments:

mom January 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM  

It was so good to see you guys! But it is never ever long enough! I had alot of fun with each activity!

Followers

Follow by Email

If you would like to receive an email each time we post, leave a comment and we'll add you to our email list.
OR
Enter your email in the "Feedburner" field below.

Abu Dhabi Time

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP