My Name Is Maximus Decimus Meridius – Part I
In the spirit of the main reason that we moved overseas, we've been off traveling. This time Paul needed to go to Rome for work which meant that we needed to go to Rome :) Paul flew out the Thursday before the work week in order to get in some R&R in beautiful Tuscany and then I flew out with M the following week on Tuesday night to spend a long weekend in Italia.
| Some of my favorite photos from Day 1 which depict what I think of when I picture Rome |
We got in pretty early Wednesday morning and after dropping off our bags at the hotel and letting Paul know we made it safely, we headed over to St. Peter’s Basilica to attend the weekly mass given by the Pope and then we went to the Vatican Museum and wandered around for a while and eventually saw the Sistine Chapel. (Seeing the Sistine Chapel and going inside the Colosseum were really the only two things on my agenda for the trip since we didn't get to do those the last time we were in Rome.)
After that we headed back to the hotel area which was in the northeast corner of the city to grab lunch with Paul. Then we meandered towards the center of the city to meet up with Paul’s boss and his wife (C & J). Our first stop was the Trevi Fountain.
| Fontana di Trevi |
Then we walked over to the Pantheon…
| The Pantheon |
Next stop was the Piazza Navona which was really lovely. I enjoyed walking through and looking at the artwork that was on display in the center of the piazza. We decided to give our feet a break and relaxed, soaking up the lovely weather and surroundings, with a glass of wine. I think that if was to pick a regret from this trip it would be that I didn’t buy one of the black and white “tryptych” paintings of roman landmarks while we were here. I looked around the rest of our trip and never found any that were decently priced.
| Piazza de Navona |
C & M picking out our next destination I've realized that I have a slight compulsion to take photos of birds & flowers
on old buildings ,ruins, statues, etc.
on old buildings ,ruins, statues, etc.
Then we were off to Piazza de Popollo. I was excited to come here because I instantly recognized the lookout point which Paul’s friend T had taken us to to watch the sunset over the skyline. I was determined to do that again, but unfortunately we could never get the timing right with the sunset and all of our other activities.
Another bird photo “Our” lookout
That night Paul and I joined his italian coworkers for a dinner that I will never forget. It was a few blocks northeast of our hotel. A tiny restaurant that had some of the most efficient use of space I’ve seen. You step in the door and go down a few steps and take a seat at one of tables. The restaurant is “decorated” with hanging garlic, peppers, ham, wine, tomatoes, etc. I loved the brick arches and just the authentic feel. We were told as we were walking over here that you don’t get to order, but instead you just show up and have whatever the chef is cooking, so we were pretty excited. We had no idea what was coming though. First we were served bread and salami on a cutting board. The Italian in the group was nominated to cut up the salami and dole out the bread. Then he headed back into the kitchen to ask for olive oil for the bread insisting that it had to be “extra” virgin olive oil. Then when we needed another bottle, he just got up and found some on the wall and brought it to our table. It was just such a nice yet relaxed family atmosphere. I would eat at restaurants like this every time I went out if I could.
| This actually isn't the restaurant, I got a little jumpy with the camera on our way over there. The restaurant is just down the street about 20 yds on the Right where the cars are in this photo. |
Then we had a few dishes brought out family style. There was sliced celery with a licorice sauce, eggplant, bruschetta, a spinach that had been battered and fried. Then came the hot garbanzo bean dish and another hot dish with white beans in a red sauce. It was delicious! I was thoroughly enjoying it and started to help myself to seconds of one of the dishes when they guy sitting next to me warned that these were all still just the appetizers!!!! Next out was a plate of spaghetti with olive oil and green beans plated for each of us….except one. For each “main” dish the chef cooks the table’s food in a wok, plates up the food for all but one person and serves that person the wok! For the 10th item, we were each served a penne pasta with a slightly spicy red sauce. Again wonderful. Then Paul got to be the guest of honor for the “real entre” which was veal and potatoes. To finish up we were served a refreshing mint-lemon custard with mini chocolate chips and grappa for the daring.
In case you got lost trying to keep track of all of those different courses—it was 13! And I haven’t even mentioned the unlimited red wine and water which was served in bottles on the table and refilled from the barrel in the photo above. This would have to be in my top 3 best restaurant meals ever. AND as if that wasn’t enough, it was only 55euros for the two of us…that’s less than $80 even with the lame exchange rate that we have right now! If you ever go to Rome, you *must* email us and we’ll find out the restaurant name & address for you.
After that we meandered back to the hotel to a wonderfully food induced coma.
2 comments:
D and C will be going in July. Does Bill P. know the restaurant that you visited? Wonder if it is the same place they took us one night last August?
Loved the columns pic at Peter's Bascillica!
PS thanks for the reminder to go on a diet before we go. Lv Mom
Post a Comment